You can configure Google Analytics for use with a CMNTY Platform. Just follow the steps below:
- Go to https://console.developers.google.com/project. You’ll need a valid Google Account (usually, Gmail) in order to proceed.
- Press the blue Create Project button on the upper left corner.
- The next screen will appear with an input field: Project Name. Fill it in and press the blue Create button. It can take a couple of seconds before your Project is created.
- Optional Step: Google may request SMS verification. Verify your phone number if you want to use the Google Cloud Platform.
- After creating the project, select API Manager from the side menu on the left.
- Find the Analytics API and turn it ON. The Analytics API is part of the Advertising APIs. To turn it on, click the blue Enable API button.
- From the Google API library, select “Analytics API“, then “Enable” on the following page.
- Now, select the Credentials from the side menu on the left.
- In the following screen, press the blue Create Credentials button.
- In the drop-down that opens, select Service account key as your application type.
- On the following page, under Service Account select “New service account“, under Service account name, enter what this service account will do (anything helpful or relevant will be fine, also Service account ID will auto fill from this name so no need to worry about that field), under Role selecting Project > Owner should be OK, and select JSON as your key type and click Create. A JSON file will be downloaded to your computer.
- The Service account ID that was created is important and you will need it later. To view it you can go to “Manage service accounts” from the Credentials Page.
- You can now proceed to http://google.com/analytics and log in.
- In the upper right corner, you’ll see the Sign In drop-down, select Analytics. If Google Analytics is new to you, click on Sign up.
- Click on the Admin link to see your account(s), and the account Properties.
- Click on the drop-down under Property in the side menu and select Create new property.
- Fill in the required information for setting up a trackable Property.1 Select your new property (Website or App).
2 Fill in the following fields:
– Website Name: Give a name to your platform (for your own reference within Google Analytics). Example: Demo Platform.
– Website URL: Enter the URL of your platform. Example: demo.cmnty.com. – Industry Category: Choose Online communities.
– Reporting Time Zone: Fill in your timezone.
3 After filling in the required fields press Get Tracking ID.
- You will see a new screen with your Tracking-ID and Tracking code.
- Make sure you select the project that you want to configure (from the side menu).
- From the left menu, go back to Admin and select User Management from your side menu, and paste the email address you’ve obtained (Service account ID in Step 12) in the section Add permissions for in the input field.
- You also need to select privileges for this user (Read & Analyze is enough). Press Add. Now you can configure your CMNTY Platform to connect with Google Analytics.
- Log in to your CMNTY platform and go to Admin > Configure > Integrations > Google Analytics. Fill in the following fields:
- JSON The JSON file downloaded to your computer can be opened by applications like Notepad or TextEdit. Copy the contents of that file to this field.
– View ID This is located within Google Analytics and can be found in Admin > View Settings
– Tracking ID This is located within Google Analytics and can be found in Admin > Property Settings
- After pressing Save, your CMNTY Platform is fully set up to cooperate with Google Analytics. On the Analyze page in your CMNTY platform (Admin>Analyze>Visitors), you can test whether you have succeeded. If you see a graph on the Visitors Overview page then everything is okay. Please note that it can activate immediately or up to 24 hours for Google to begin providing data for your CMNTY Platform.
Also check out this post on setting up Google translate.
Check out our blog post on tips to invite people to join your community platform!