Remind your platform members
You can send short, push notifications to the members of your CMNTY Platform. Push notifications go directly to member devices (desktop or mobile) and can be used for a variety of purposes. You can, for example, remind them to participate in a new challenge.
Members will only receive push notifications if they have enabled push notifications for their browser on the device that they are using. Push notifications are turned off by default in all browsers. If members use multiple browsers and/or devices, they need to make sure that they update settings in each of their browsers and/or devices.
Community managers will receive all push notifications by default once they enabled the settings in their devices.
Enable push notifications
Make sure the push notifications tool is enabled in the admin section of your platform by following the steps below:
- Go to Configure at the top menu in Admin.
- Underneath General, choose Platform Configuration at the left menu.
- Turn the switch for Push Notifications to ON.
- Don’t forget to Save your changes in the upper-right corner.
Send push notifications You can send push notifications through the backend of your platform by following these steps:
- Go to Publish at the top menu in Admin.
- Choose Push Notifications at the left menu.
- Click Send Push Notification in the overview to create a new push notification.
- Enter a Title and Message.
- You can also add a URL where members will be redirected if they click on the push notification. For example, if you want to remind the members about their participation in a questionnaire, you can add the link to the questionnaire itself.
- Do not forget to select the right Language.
- Determine the Run-Time of the push notification. The platform will attempt to send push notifications to an active device for the specified push notification’s run-time. After this period is over, the notifications will be discarded.
- If you only want to send the notification to a certain group, select a Group as well.
- Click the Save icon to send the push notification.
You can always look up what the settings were of a push notification that has been sent out. Click on Options > View to find an overview of the chosen settings.
As soon as push notifications have been sent out, you can check who received the push notification. Click Options > Status. Keep in mind that you will only see the results of people who enabled push notifications for their browser(s) and device(s).
On the Status page you will be able to find the following information:
- Status: There are several statuses of a sent notification:
Sending: This status will be displayed when the server is preparing the notification.
Failed: If the status is ‘failed’, it means that the notification could not be sent. This might have several causes but what might be the most logical cause is that the browser does not accept the notification anymore. This will happen if you block the notifications through your browser and not through the platform. If you block the notification through the platform, then you will be unsubscribed from push notifications.
Pending: When the status is pending, the notification is not sent yet. In case of many push notifications, not all notifications will be sent at once. Just like email messages, they will be sent out in batches.
Success: If the status is ‘success’, it means that the message has been sent successfully. (Does not necessarily mean that the message has arrived, i.e. if the device was turned off and the if the push notification run-time has expired it might be possible that a person hasn’t received the message.)
- User: This is the username to whom the push notification is being sent to.
- Device: For mobile devices, the model can be shown, i.e. Nexus 5X. In case of desktops and laptops, usually ‘other’ is used.
- Platform: Shows the operating system that the user has configured, i.e. Mac OS X, Linux or Android.
- Browser: Shows the browser that the user has configured, i.e. Chrome, Firefox or Opera Mobile.
If you want to receive push notifications on your desktop, you should keep in mind that your browser should be activated to be able to receive push notifications. This is not mandatory for mobile devices, users will receive push notifications even if the browser is not opened (in the background).
In Reset, there are two options for resetting push notifications.
- Reset messages, this will delete all current push notifications.
- Reset subscribers, this will reset all subscribers.
The push notification also contains the icon of your community. If you did not add an icon, the CMNTY logo will be used. You can add your own icon by following the steps in this article.
Supported devices and browsers At the moment, not all devices and browser versions support push notifications.
Chrome: Android, Windows, Linux & OSX.
Firefox: Android, Windows, Linux & OSX.
Opera: Android, Windows, Linux & OSX.
Vivaldi: Windows, Linux & OSX.
Safari: iOS, OSX.
Internet Explorer: Windows.
Android Browser: Android.