Tips for setting up the general Terms & Conditions of your CMNTY Platform
General terms and conditions define the rights and obligations of your community members. It is important to be clear from the start to avoid any misunderstandings. In this article we give you a few rules of thumb to writing a great GTC document.
By default, it is required that participants should agree to the general terms and conditions (It is possible to turn this off). Please note that every project is different, so the general terms and conditions may differ per project. We have compiled some tips which you can take into account while setting up your general terms and conditions.
Important things you can think of:
- Give a clear explanation of the purpose of your general terms and conditions. You can think of the period when the terms and conditions are valid and for whom they are intended. Additionally, you can indicate reasons explained why members should accept the general terms and conditions and what the consequences are for not accepting them.
- Members are obliged to agree to the general terms and conditions upon registration. Clearly indicate this in the general terms and conditions.
- Show the way how members can use the platform, for what purpose and with what resources.
- Indicate for whom the platform is created and who is responsible for the username and password of the member.
- When it comes to account information, personal data, and privacy, clarify how this data is used. Give a clear explanation of how personal and confidential information is processed and stored.
- Specify how a member can unsubscribe, and what will happen to the data if a member unsubscribes.
- Are there any requirements which members must comply with? (For instance, older than 16 years and/or parental consent, etc.)
- The information released on the platform can be highly confidential. If this applies, indicate in the general terms and conditions that the information is confidential and that it is not allowed for members to disclose the information. Also, specify clearly what the consequences are if this does happen.
- Describe all actions that are not allowed and specify what happens to people who exhibit unacceptable behavior on the platform, and what the consequences will be. (For instance, rough language, insulting other members, distributing spam, etc.)
- Indicate whether points can be withdrawn and how this will happen. In addition, it can also occur that you want to reward members with points or other rewards. Therefore, their information will be provided to third parties.
- Explain how the webshop is used, think about products in stock and warranty on items.
- Indicate that members need to release their address details/bank account information in order to be able to make use of rewards. Also, indicate how you deal with this information. (For example, that you only use it for the purpose of processing rewards.)
- Give a clear explanation of the intellectual property. Indicate who will own the ideas which have been proposed (from you or the client) and that a member can’t claim it.
- Disclaimer: if mistakes or spelling/typing errors are made, you’re not liable for it.
- Provide the general terms and conditions with an (email) address and/or phone number on which members can reach you if they have questions.
Resources to help generate terms:
Terms Feed helps generate trusted legal agreements for ecommerce, SaaS, apps, and more.
Shopify offers to generate free terms (you can do so without the free trial by clicking the checkbox above the email field).
Terms and Conditions Sample offers free generation of terms with input fields for company, website, and email.
Read our blog post about absolute do’s for managing your online community.
See more related articles about platform messages here.